The GDS-Index is delighted to announce that Brisbane has become the 50th city to join the GDS-Index. As such, the city will actively participate in the collaborative platform to:
• Benchmark the sustainability of their destination and their meeting and events industry
• Improve the sustainability strategy of their Convention Bureau and Destination Management Organizations
• Increase awareness and mainstream the integration of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals into their destinations' events and visitor economy.
• Inspire clients to prize destinations with solid event sustainability initiatives
• Share their responsible business initiatives and best practices with their clients, peers and the world
Brisbane Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner comments: "By partnering with the Global Destination Sustainability Index, Brisbane is taking an important step in improving and showcasing our credentials as an appealing place to visit, meet and do business."
The Lord Mayor adds: "Brisbane City Council sees sustainability as critical to our reputation as Australia’s New World City. We were the first Australian city to release a Clean Air Strategy, have twice been named Australia’s Most Sustainable City, and through the Brisbane. Clean, Green Sustainable 2017-2031 vision, we have a long-term plan to improve our environmental performance.”
Guy Bigwood, Managing Director of the GDS-Index comments: “Brisbane is valued for its innovation, stunning nature and progressive agenda. We are delighted to have such a sustainability champion join the GDS-Index, and add to the growing leadership from Australian destinations. We look forward to helping Brisbane develop a better sustainable destination strategy, improve their performance and share their tactics for change globally.”
Brisbane has already made significant efforts to create a regenerative culture to meet, live, and thrive in. It is one of the most popular destinations for tourists visiting Australia, and is a key meetings hub driving growth and innovation in technology, life sciences, manufacturing, and education.
For more information please contact us, or Kylie Sully (Media and Communications Manager, Brisbane Marketing).